70-Key Ch. Hooghuys No. 660

Reconstructed to perforated book operation by Charles Hooghuys in Grammont, Belgium after 1925; this organ started life as a German barrel instrument of the 1880s – believed to be by Wilhelm Bruder Söhne. After a working life on the fairgrounds of Europe with Willemyns, Rorive and Staelens it was purchased and brought to the UK by Paul Corin for his mechanical music museum in St. Keyne, Cornwall. It later passed to Lionel Creed and Arthur Mason, who sold it to Ted Reed in 1988.

The Hooghuys was one of the casualties of the Museum fire in 1991; the instrument was restored to playing condition, with a replica front and figures being carved by Woody White and decorated by Jimmy Williams.

Played on open days between:
November, January & March: 12:35 – 12:50 & 15:25 – 15:40
December, February & April: 11:20 – 11:35 & 13:45 – 14:00
Photograph: AFOM Collection