The Collection

The Collection

46-Key Limonaire No. 3948

Built by Limonaire Frères in Paris, c. 1909, as a 35-key instrument, this organ was imported by Chiappa Ltd in the early 1920s and converted to play standardised 46-key music. It was sold to Harvey & Sanders who used it in their juvenile ride to travel London and the home counties (most notably Amersham Charter […]

89-Key Marenghi No. 2456

This instrument was built in Paris c.1910; its early history is unknown, but by 1921 found its way to Derbyshire showman Harry Hall, who used it in his scenic whale switchback ride. The organ features one of only two known original examples of Marenghi’s ‘Grelotophone’ – a set of tuned sleighbells. It was later sold […]

89-Key Gavioli No. 8265

Built in the 1890s, this is an early example of an 89-key instrument with automatic registration; it was imported to England by Arthur Righini of Manchester who sold it to showman Edmund Holland in 1906 for use in his four-abreast galloping horses. It later passed to Lancashire showmen Silcock Bros., who had it converted by […]

46-Keyless Wilhelm Bruder Söhne No. 3633

Built in Waldkirch, in the Black Forest region of Germany, the 46-keyless range were built to the order and specification of Chiappa Ltd. This particular example was produced c.1924 and supplied new to Lovatts of Scotland, who used the organ in their galloping horse roundabout. It was purchased for preservation by George Evans and Ted […]

51-Key Jan van Eyk – ‘Paulus Potter’

Unique in this collection, this organ is known as a ‘Dutch street organ’ and dates from 1989 – manufactured by Jan van Eyk & Son in Terwolde, The Netherlands. As opposed to the UK, where mechanical organs were used primarily in amusement attractions, street organs have been traditionally used in Holland to serenade passers by […]

89-Key Gavioli No. 8757

This instrument was built at the Gavioli works in Paris at the turn of the 20th century. Believed to originally be an 84-key instrument, it was imported by Chiappa Ltd, London, who rebuilt the organ to play standardised 89-key ‘Violin-Bariton’ cardboard music books. The organ was used successively in the three-abreast galloping horses roundabout of […]

70-Key Ch. Hooghuys No. 660

Reconstructed to perforated book operation by Charles Hooghuys in Grammont, Belgium after 1925; this organ started life as a German barrel instrument of the 1880s – believed to be by Wilhelm Bruder Söhne. After a working life on the fairgrounds of Europe with Willemyns, Rorive and Staelens it was purchased and brought to the UK […]

73-Key Decap – ‘Pascal’

In the years around 1950 the firm of Gebr Decap in Antwerp built a very successful series of 72 key dance organs. Some 40 years later, these remained in great demand from collectors, so the firm, which was still in business produced, a further batch of these organs to an identical design, of which ‘Pascal’ […]

60-Key Gavioli No. 6778

This instrument is believed to date from 1887. It spent its working life in the Scottish borders with the Wilmot family, who travelled galloping horses and a bioscope show. A new eight-tune barrel was pinned in 1926 by Wright & Holmes of Manchester, when they also fitted one of their automatic tune-changing devices. The organ […]

Weber ‘Unika’ Orchestrion No. 21752

Built by Gebruder Weber Orcherstrionfabrik in Waldkirch, Germany, these instruments were designed to imitate the small musical quartets found in cafés and restaurants throughout Europe. This example is believed to date from 1925. The orchestrion contains cello & violin pipes and a ‘mandolin’ attachment to the piano treble, with various expression devices, all controlled by […]

41-Keyless Wilhelm Bruder Söhne No. 3790

Believed to date from c.1935 this organ was built in Waldkirch, Germany. Designated as catalogue model number 77, these instruments were described as ‘Starkton’ organs – an instrument with rich and powerful tone! They were expressly designed for use in smaller amusement rides, and at a favourable price of manufacture. This particular example spent its […]